Welcome to the first online #SUPyoga session of the 2017 season with Kelli Nicole Yoga & Airhead SUP… Something truly magical happens when the ocean meets the mat, it becomes a floating sanctuary!
Basking into the sun rays warmth on the body, tuning into the sounds of the birds chirping and the seas splashing. Deep inhales of fresh air lift all negative thoughts up and away like the morning fog on the water. Flowing with fluidity on the foundation that we float upon while the body recalibrates to the vibration of nature’s radiance and begins to understand water, balance, movement, connection, flow and oneness. When either the choice is to explore freely or anchor in, we can let go and trust the process of where it will take us. When we are fully able to do this, miracles happen.
This month I will be covering Chataranga Flow and a guided mermaid themed meditation. Let's get on board!
Inner-Depth Mermaid Meditation
This is a chance for us to find stillness, reset and cleanse our mind, body and soul of everything negative in our worlds. These moments of peace and tranquility may be the only reason you decide to explore SUP Yoga and that's totally fine because this is your voyage!
Dive into Your Depth
Meditation is commonly used to help deepen understanding of the sacred and mystical forces of life. This process may result in enhanced mental, physical and emotional well being and connection to the bodies of water in your subconscious.
Submerging into deep meditation is about connection, awareness, releasing deeper levels of trauma and reaching the higher self.
In this deep meditational state your Mind, body and soul are in rhythmic synchronization and you become completely aware of your elemental surroundings.
- Get into a comfortable seated position on the center of your board/mat/pillow.
- Close your eyes, and begin to relax every muscle in your body and mind.
- Bring your awareness to your breath, if your mind wanders notice that this is perfectly normal and continue to bring it back.
- Notice how you are grounded into your sit bones and witness the pull of gravity underneath you.
- If anything else is pulling on your energy simply bring curious awareness to it. Begin to release them and envision weightlessness.
- Inhale, be mindful of the energetic life force oxygen/pranayama filling and purifying your entire body.
- Exhale, feel yourself become lighter and more relaxed.
- Be grateful for the oxygen that nourished every cell in your body and air that fills your lungs.
- Bring your awareness to the thoughts that are coming up in your mind.
- Envision your thoughts becoming coins, and one by one, slowly dropping down into the depths of your inner ocean.
- First the coin drops down through your throat, and then your chest, and then your stomach, and then your hips, and down below us into the foundation below us.
- Fall into a more into every breath
- Imagine yourself submerging deeper into a beautiful body of water, while sinking deeper into the dark depths of your mind and thoughts.
- Notice what comes up for you and take a generous moment to accept what comes up for you.
- Suddenly the cleansing water begins to heal you and pour bliss and light into your body and soul.
- Everything that this blissful blue light touches fills it will a refreshing renewing nourishment.
- If there is any tension you are experiencing, release it and focus on the cooling sensations of floating in a healing body of water.
- Feel yourself rise into the warmer sun kissed surface while bright white bliss enhances your pure divine radiance.
- You feel the heat of the sun embrace, support, and lift you higher into the sky until everything is enveloped in a white healing light.
- All tension is released, breath is calm, mind is focused, and soul is aligned to a more powerful vibration.
- Bring your awareness back into the present moment, slowly open your eyes, wiggle your fingers and toes, gently stretch and take one more deep cleansing breath.
Water is healing. We are made up of water. We always crave it in one form or another because we are structurally made from it.
It will release toxins from your body, pain from your heart and anxiety from your mind. All fears and doubts flood out of you and ripples further and further away from existence.
"You must be be formless, shapeless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and water can crash. Be like water my friend."
Be water, freely flowing through the cracks and adjusting easily to situations. You can be strong and gentle at the same time and be at one with the waves around you. Keep flowing!
"Chatur" — meaning "four"
"Anga" — meaning "limb"
"Danda" — meaning "staff"
"Asana" — meaning "pose"
SUP Power PLANKton Flow
Keeping your breath at a neutral state:
- Start in high plank position with your shoulders stacked over your wrists, weight evenly distributed amongst all 10 fingers, pulling your kneecaps up towards your belly and pushing your heels towards the wall behind you.
- Hold this position maintaining a straight line with your body, flat back, tight core, and neck in-line. Hinge forward slightly by pushing into your toes.
- Begin to lower your body closer to the board, bending at the elbows.
- Before your belly hits the foundation, take a deep breath in and swan dive forward, pulling your head and heart to the sky, shoulders pulled back, hips to the board.
- Exhale, empty your lungs bringing your hips high and chest pulling in towards your thighs.
- Take a breath here and release into Child’s pose, bringing your shins to the board, toes come to touch.
- Exhale bow forward bringing your chest close to the board and arms stretched straight overhead in front of you.
- Focus on your tingles and sensations. Repeat, 1 breath - 1 movement, 2-3x.
Planks and Chataranga are killer core and shoulder shredders/ heart openers and a full body toning workout using only your body weight. Challenge your balance and strength while getting in a gentle self loving stretch.
The essence of Chataranga is demonstrated in your ability to flow with all of life’s challenges, both on and off the mat. Once you can flow, you will find true power in the pose.
Chataranga strengthens and tones the wrists, arms, abdominal muscles, and lower back. It prepares the body for more challenging arm balances. Similar to a traditional push-up, it also strengthens the muscles surrounding the spine, which helps to improve posture.
Always work within your own range of limits and abilities. If you have any medical concerns, talk with your doctor before practicing yoga.